Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I Love A Rainy Night

Eddie Rabbitt - Country Music Performer

Back in the mid 70's Eddie Rabbitt released a song called "I Love A Rainy Night". The song was very popular and still being played today on a variety of radio stations. Now, while I do agree with Eddie that there is not many things better than a good rainy summer night, it sure does make things very noisy on 40m, creating a tough environment for completing QSO's. I was able to complete one QSO before calling it a night and it just so happens to be a new state!

Union Hotel - Flemington NJ

My only QSO tonight was with Kurt - KR2C from Flemington New Jersey, 620 miles away from my station. Kurt gave me a RST of 579 from the 5 watts my MFJ 9040 was throwing through my inverted L gutter antenna. The band was very noisy still from the storm, however we were able to exchange all the necessary information to complete the QSO. Flemington is home of the historic Union Hotel wish was first constructed in 1814, over 200 years ago. The hotel is believed to be haunted and was slated for demolition earlier this year but those plans were changed.  After Kurt and I exchanged 73's I heard two other stations coming back to me, including a station in Nevada. I ried a few times to get through the noise but the band conditions were getting worse and I decided that it was time to call it a night.

Thunderstruck book

What do you do when you can't play radio on a summer rainy night? You read a book! Thunderstruck was a book recommended to me from friend and elmer Ivin - W9ILF. This is a book that tells the story of Murderer Hawley Crippen and Wireless Inventor Guglielmo Marconi and how their lives crossed aboard a ship called the Montrose. I plan to do a full review of this book once I have finished it. There are several mentions of Marconi operators, Morse code, and other CW references in this book.

Well I guess that's it for now. Until next time 72 de W9ODX


No comments:

Post a Comment